Saturday, May 19, 2012

Breast is for feeding...

Dear little Leann,

One week from now marks a very special date. It marks the day that you turn 6 months, my little precious. In other words, I have nurse you solely from the breast for 6 months.

In this 180 days or so, you have been my greatest teacher. You've taught me love, patience, appreciation and so much more. Joy is when, half way through a nursing session, you decided to fart, unlatch, look sheepishly at me, smile, laugh, and then relatch again as if it was the most natural thing to do. Breastfeeding isn't easy, but it's definitely the best thing that could ever happen to a mother (and baby).

I've always been told, when I was pregnant, that breastfeeding isn't for everyone, and that it's okay if there isn't enough milk, because there's always formula. But now, having breastfed you for the past 6 months, I see things differently.

You see, I never imagined myself breastfeeding (without a bottle), let alone solely breastfeeding you for 6 months. It's such a norm that have people tell a pregnant lady that she would not have enough milk when the baby comes and best to have a formula on standby. Your popo was one of them, who up until now, still tries to convince me to feed you formula (so she can kidnap you to their place whenever goong goong wanted to see you). It's precisely this lack of encouragement that causes many mothers to give up breastfeeding, because they are already told to expect no milk even before the baby arrives!

To many people, formula and breastmilk are the same. But they are not. You, my little one, would know better. Breastfeeding is not just about getting your little tummy full... it's about so many other things. It's about comfort, it's about bonding, it's about love, it's about skin contact, it's about so many things that formula milk is not. Yes, some mothers in certain circumstances are not able to breastfeed, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I am blessed with the ability to nurse you, and I will continue nursing you until you no longer need me.

So it's totally okay to want to nurse, my child. Mama will always be here for you when you need comfort, love and cuddles. It doesn't matter what the public views are on Nursing In Public, it doesn't matter that people are telling me I will end up spoiling you by breastfeeding you... If you, my little precious, wants to nurse, Mama will nurse you, in the house, out and about, as long as you want to nurse, the rest doesn't matter.

Mama loves you, precious.



p/s A very big thank you to my mother-in-law, Aunty Jenny Tan and my sister Susie for forever encouraging me to breastfeed. The world's mothers need more positive encouragements on breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment